What Is Beautiful?
Yesterday I set up a facebook group for my new business venture (more about that soon)
This morning I was thinking about the group name: ‘Back To Beautiful You’ and I got to wondering what does being beautiful mean to everyone.
In today’s world beautiful is often defined as a physical attribute; our perception of beauty filtered through the lens of social media posts and those oh so perfect lives. Despite knowing that most folks only post the very best version of themselves you can still get that unsettling feeling that if your face or body happens to less than perfect then you’re somehow not quite hitting the mark.
With this in mind I decided to search the actual dictionary definition of beautiful.
1.pleasing the senses or mind aesthetically.
When you’re feeling like you’re not firing on all cylinders it can be hard to feel body beautiful. On those days maybe it’s worth stopping for moment and considering how your beauty comes from so many other avenues. Our bodies are just a vehicle from which our beauty can shine. Beautiful is within the heart, in our experiences and in those unrehearsed moments when we feel most alive.
Beautiful is so much more than our physical being, what our eyes can see, going by the definition there’s another 4 senses to be considered in this what is beautiful mix.
Beautiful is not about what other people think of you; how you might look to the outside world, it is solely about you. It’s relative to your state of mind, how you perceive things and how, who or what you connect with. You become beautiful through all of these things not just the image in the mirror.
My kind of beautiful
- A walk on a windswept beach
- Uncontrollable laughter over something silly.
- A piece of music that resonates within me and takes me away to another moment, a memory.
- Looking out on a gorgeous landscape and feeling my heart swell
- A big bear hug from my husband on a low day, ok on any day
- Conversations with my kids
- The sun on my face
- A bunch of my favourite flowers.
- Taking a big breath of fresh air and feeling alive.
- Reading a line from a book or a quote that switches my perspective.
- The way being in nature makes me feel.
- My connections with the people I love
- On holiday sat around the pool in golden hour as the sun begins to set.
Nothing can ever truly define beautiful because true beauty is made up of our experiences, our strengths and our unique life moments.
In what ways are you beautiful?